Collegedale Restaurant hood cleaning is vital to keeping the efficiency of your exhaust system high. I would like to talk about the hoods themselves in this article. The hood is designed to do two things:
- Act as a fire protection device by removing the grease
- Remove smoke and heat from cooking area below
The kitchen exhaust system is designed to pull grease laden smoke up into the hood and to the filters where it is filtered, turned back into grease then emptied into a catch tray. The three basic hood designs are the canopy, the galley and the downdraft. The closer the hood is to the cooking surface, the more efficient it is.
The most common type of hoods seen in restaurants today are canopy style. They are a simple design, do a good job and are easy to maintain. Restaurant hood cleaning is normally a simple task with these hoods. Just make sure that your hood cleaning company is cleaning the entire exhaust system and not the hood only.
Restaurant Hood Cleaning
Cleaning kitchen exhaust systems, is not difficult to do. It must be done the right however up to the code of the NFPA.
- The first thing that should be done when your hood cleaner arrives at the job is remove any items that may fall on your cooking equipment during the cleaning process.
- If there are any fryolators, they should be covered with sheet pans or cardboard.
- After that, the entire Set of cooking equipment should be covered with plastic.
- Using a process called funneling whenever possible.
- A properly set up funnel system will make 99 % of the mess fall into a bucket this includes water from power washing the kitchen exhaust system.
- The next step is to bring in the equipment, The first thing to bring in is the power washer and it's accessories.
- The technicianwho brings in the power washer should be careful to vent all the exhaust from heating coils i out the door, a window, or the last choice to choose, the hood itself. If they had to exhaust fumes out of the hood itself, they have to be very careful not to burn the plastic protecting your cooking equipment.
- Ok great at this point they are almost done performing the hood cleaning, now all that's left is the filters. We degrease and power wash the filters front and back shake out the water, then place them back in your hood.
- Any Hood Cleaning Company worth their salt at this point dries your hood by hand then shines it with a stainless steel polisher such as Sheila Shine. This last step is the difference between a clean hood and an immaculately cleaned hood.
- After all the equipment is out of your building they should fill out the paperwork. Once signed, they place the appropriate certification sticker on your hood.
- Then they should mop up their own mess if any from where they were working to the exit door.
Exhaust Hood Cleaning - Absolutely a Restaurant Maintenance Service That Must Be Accomplished
A good hood cleaner is a god send to all restaurant owners. Not just a hood cleaner, but a good hood cleaner - these are two very different things. A good hood cleaner can walk into your establishment whether it is a sky rise building in Boston or Manhattan or a single level building with 3 feet of duct work and know in the first 25 minutes how the entire job is going to be done. From the point of the first roll of plastic being brought in to the point of each one in the crew exiting your building These men and women represent their company and all hood cleaners reputation.
Today it is a different world out there in this business than it was 20 years ago. Now the regulations are real, they are enforced on both the hood cleaner and the restaurant owner. The NFPA wants the fire hazards gone. They want the problems to be history. This is a good goal but the smaller restaurants took a hit in this whole thing some restaurants have issues with the codes yet the systems are still able to be cleaned properly. So in a circumstance like this, what happens?
But small company who actually cares about you and your system, will tell you about the issues that need to be corrected and probably tell you they can't take the job unless you are going to fix the issue first because the second they put a sticker up they assume responsibility and their license is on the line.
If there was a few changes of wording in the codes a whole world of difference would be made on the industry for the better.
How can a business prosper if they are supposed to regulate the service while staying honest at the same time?
Honest men of integrity suffer greatly in this business.